Episcopal Church of Our Saviour
12236 Mandarin Rd
Jacksonville, FL 32223
Phone: (904) 268-9457
Click here for directions

 

The Episcopal Church of Our Saviour

History

Photo 21 Church of Our Saviour was organized in 1880 by the Rev. Charles Sturgess an Episcopalian missionary appointed by The Rt. Rev. John Freeman Young to conduct regular services in Mandarin.  A non-denominational group had been meeting for Bible readings for approximately 12 years under the leadership of Professor Calvin E. Stowe and his wife, the famous author, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and this group formed the backbone of the new congregation.  By November of 1883, the fledgling congregation had built a small, beautifully crafted, frame church modeled after the Church of the Good Shepherd in Racquette Lake, New York.

 

The mission became a parish in 1884, and all went well until the great freeze of 1895, which destroyed the citrus industry and other agricultural enterprises in the community.  At some time after the disastrous freeze the church declined to mission status.  Services were held irregularly and sometimes the church closed down entirely.  During the lean years the efforts of a few faithful members kept Church of Our Saviour from extinction

 

Photo 27 After World War II, Mandarin began to grow, and the church reflected the larger population of the area.  In 1955, parish status was regained and a full time rector was called.  The congregation was outgrowing the small frame church by 1964, when Hurricane Dora hit.  A large hickory tree snapped off by the winds of Hurricane Dora and fell across the small frame church and damaged it beyond repair. The Tiffany stained glass window Harriet Beecher Stowe had commissioned in memory of her husband was shattered but miraculously the rest of the stained glass windows were virtually undamaged.  A new church was built and was dedicated on December 16, 1966.  It won architectural awards for replicating the small frame church while incorporating the larger sanctuary, which is the current worship space. 

 

The church has maintained its pastoral beauty and historical charm.  In its magnificent setting on the banks of the beautiful St. John’s River, the Church of Our Saviour is truly a place of beauty dedicated to the Glory of God and His worship.

 
 

FOLLOW US

CONTACT US

  • Episcopal Church of Our Saviour
  • 12236 Mandarin Rd
  • Jacksonville, FL 32223
  • United States
  • Phone: (904) 268-9457
  • info@oursaviourjax.org